Friday, March 6, 2009

Keeping It Cool

It amazes me how different 6th graders are from 9th graders. 9th grade have discovered their arrogance, their sense of omniscience and self-entitlement. Yesterday I was in the 6th grade student and let me tell you, they had those kids trained to a T. They didn't so much as breathe without permission. How soon they forget. Actually, how soon they lose the self-control. Their raging hormones and identity crises probably lead them to it. I just have to try to not let it get under my skin. Sometimes it's hard to stay calm and enforce discipline with compassion... to be the strict sub while secretly laughing on the inside while the students squirm. However, it's bad when I become a bit vindictive. You cut me, I bleed. I'm only human, but as a teacher you have to become super human and hold yourself a bit higher. It's going to take a lot of practice. A LOT.

Word on the street is that schools are starting to consider candidates for the next school year. That means I have to start updating my applications, but let me tell yeah it sucks. Good schools, please hire me!

1 comment:

  1. Hello Dub,
    I have included your blog on my Cool Teacher Blogs page. Thank you for your insights into teaching and for all you do for students.

    Sincerely,
    Sam Rangel
    http://www.SuccessintheClassroom.com

    ReplyDelete